1st CAVALRY DIVISION (DISMOUNTED)
Following World War Two, the 1st Cavalry Division (Dismounted) was assigned occupation duties in Tokyo, Japan. Despite its "Cavalry" designation, and calling its men "Troopers" instead of soldiers, it was organized and equipped the same as any normal infantry division. In other words, the "Cavalry" designation was traditional.
When war broke out on the Korean Peninsula, the first Cavalry unit to deploy was the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment. It arrived at P'ohang-dong on South Korea's east coast on 9 July 1950 where it provided security for K-3, the main airport while awaiting for the remainder of the regiment to arrive. When it did, the 7th Cavalry Regiment moved west to Taegu and then up the main Taegu- Taejon highway, passing through 8th Cavalry Regiment positions and entering combat with the enemy for the first time in the Korean War at Yongdong on 24 July 1950. The remainder of the 1st Cavalry Division followed these two regiments in the next few days.
The division redeployed to Japan on 22 October 1951 to serve as Far East Command reserve. It stayed in this role until after the ceasefire in July 1953 when it returned to Korea.
The Division consisted of:
- Headquarters and Headquarters Company
- 5th Cavalry Regiment
- 7th Cavalry Regiment
- 8th Cavalry Regiment
- Division Artillery
- 61st Field Artillery Battalion (105mm)
- 77th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm)
- 82nd Field Artillery Battalion (155mm)
- 99th Field Artillery Battalion (105mm)
- 29th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
- Company A, 71st Tank Battalion (Heavy) This unit was replaced by the:
70th Tank Battalion (Medium) on 7 August 1950
- 8th Engineer Battalion (Combat)
- 16th Reconnaissance Company
Division Special Troops
- 15th Medical Battalion
- 13th Signal Company
- 27th Ordnance maintenance Battalion
- 15th Quartermaster Company
- 15th Military Police Company
- 15th Replacement Company
- 4th Ranger Infantry Company (Airborne) was attached 31 December 1950 until 1 August 1951 when all Ranger units were deactivated.
- Thailand 21st Infantry Regiment
- Philippine 10th Battalion Combat Team
- Greek Expeditionary Force
Back to 8th Army Page
Back to Korean War Homepage