[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Questions on NKPA
One of the books I've assigned in a course on the Korean War and the 1950s
is Addison Terry's memoir _The Battle for Pusan_. A student has a rather
long list of questions prompted by the book. I'm forwarding the questions
that I can't answer for him, with the faith that listmembers will have the
answers and will be willing to help. Thanks in advance for the assist.
1. How did the NKPA obtain battlefield intelligence in the face of
American air superiority? More specifically, was there a significant number
of communist sympathizers among the ROK army that leaked information to the
2. Were there political officers attached to NKPA combat units to
enforce moral and aid in the conscription of South Koreans?
4. In the book, Terry refers to the 24th regiment as "Eleanor's
Rifles," Is this by chance referring to Eleanor Roosevelt? If so, why?
5. Did the NKPA concentrate most of its offensive "punch" in the
sectors that were predominantly defended by ROK troops?
6. Did the NKPA have a significant number of self-propelled artillery
such as Soviet SU-76s and Katyushas or did they have to rely on towed
7. After the Inchon landing, did the NKPA lose a large number of
equipment or were they able to pull out a majority of there motorized
8. Was there a significant number of communist partisan activity
behind American lines in South Korea?
9. How was the NKPA able to supply its front line troops in the face
of American air superiority?
10. What role did armor play in NKPA offensives? Were tanks used
primarily to reinforce the infantry or were they organized into independent
formations and used to punch gaps in enemy lines in order for the infantry
11. Were there large numbers of Russian "volunteers" fighting with the